Cite: Mingaleva A. Reforming Russian legislation for crimes in the digital economy. J. Digit. Sci. 1(1), 43-50 (2019). https://doi.org/10.33847/2686-8296.1.1_5
Abstract. The aim of this research work is to analyze Russian criminal legislation on punishment for computer crimes. The growth in the number and intensity of cyber-attacks throughout the world also leads to an increase of costs for companies and society as a whole to provide protection against cyber-attacks and to prevent losses from them. The financial sphere of the economy suffers especially. The article provides statistical and expert data on the potential damage from the suspension of the financial institution’s activities, including lost profits and costs for restoring websites after cyber-attacks. A significant increase in the number of crimes committed with the help of digital devices and a multiple increase in the amount of damage from them were revealed on the basis of an empirical study. On the part of the business community, the demand for the state to toughen penalties for computer crimes is increasing. To this end, in 2018 novels were introduced into the Criminal Code of the Russian Federation, which toughened criminal liability for embezzlement of funds from bank accounts or electronic money. It is shown that the changes introduced by the legislator in the criminal legislation of Russia take into account modern threats to economic security and increase the level of protection of the financial interests of citizens, credit organizations and the state as a whole.
Keywords: economic losses, punishment, computer crimes, criminal punishment, stealing money, cyber-attacks.
- Improving criminal liability for cybercrime in the financial sector http://ormvd.ru/pubs/102/improvement-of-measures-of-criminal-liability-for-cyber-crimes-in-the-financial-sector-of-the-econom/
- The Global Risks Report 2019, 14th Edition, World Economic Forum, Geneva. 2019.
- The global losses from cybercrime in 2019 can reach $ 2 trillion. – [Electronic resource] – URL: https://www.banki.ru/news/lenta/?id=10404738
- Toropova I., Mingaleva A., Knyazev P. (2020) Macroeconomic Model of Banking Digitization Process. In: Antipova T. (eds) Integrated Science in Digital Age. ICIS 2019. Lecture Notes in Networks and Systems, vol 78. Springer, Cham. doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-22493-6_9
- Brottsbalk (1962: 700). Regeringskansliets rättsdatabaser. Utfärdad: 1962-12-21 Senast ändrad: 2015-04-01 Uppdaterad: t.o.m. SFS 2015: 97. https://www.legislationline.org/documents/section/criminal-codes
- Bundesgesetz vom 23. Jänner 1974 über die mit gerichtlicher Strafe bedrohten Handlungen (Strafgesetzbuch – StGB) https://www.legislationline.org/documents/section/criminal-codes.
- Strafgesetzbuch in der Fassung der Bekanntmachung vom 13. November 1998 (BGBl. I S. 3322), das zuletzt durch Artikel 2 des Gesetzes vom 19. Juni 2019 (BGBl. I S. 844) geändert worden ist. https://www.legislationline.org/documents/section/criminal-codes.
- The market for criminal cyber services. 2018. https://www.ptsecurity.com/ru-ru/research/analytics/darkweb-2018/.
- How much is security? Analysis of information security processes in Russian companies. Positive Technologies. https://www.ptsecurity.com/upload/corporate/ru-ru/analytics/IS-Cost-rus.pdf.
- Barkhatov E.N. Features qualifications fraud in the field of computer information and its distinction from other offenses // Modern law. – 2016. – № 9. – p. 111.
- New bank fraudsters: we are called “social engineers”! // BANKIN RUSSI. 2017 December 14th. – [Electronic resource] – URL: https://bankinrussia.ru/news/novye-bankovskie-moshenniki-socialnye-inzhenery.
- Criminal Code of the Russian Federation. Old edition: GARANT system: http://base.garant.ru/57412609/644c26293f27715490005d21e7af011f/#ixzz5tFVlIB3l.
- Criminal Code of the Russian Federation. New edition. GARANT system: http://base.garant.ru/57412609/644c26293f27715490005d21e7af011f/#ixzz5tFWXjg5s.
- Federal Law of April 23, 2018 N 111-ФЗ “On Amendments to the Criminal Code of the Russian Federation” http://www.consultant.ru/document/cons_doc_LAW_296451/.
- Summary statistics on criminal status in Russia for 2016; Summary statistics on criminal status in Russia in 2017; Summary statistics on criminal status in Russia for 6 months of 2018 // Judicial Department at the Supreme Court of the Russian Federation. – [Electronic resource] – URL: http://www.cdep.ru/index.php?id=79.
- Order of the Federal Security Service of Russia of July 24, 2018 N 366 “About the National Coordination Center for Computer Incidents” System GARANT: http://base.garant.ru/72041506/#ixzztv1rQY2i.
Published online 22.12.2019