Bavarian Nordic A/S, Zug, Switzerland
Cite: Pesqueira A. The impact of big data on innovation and value generation in pharmaceutical sales and marketing. J. Digit. Sci. 3(2), 19 – 36 (2021). https://doi.org/10.33847/2686-8296.3.2_3
Abstract. Using Big Data in the pharmaceutical industry is a relatively new technology, and the benefits and applications are yet to be understood. There are some cases currently being piloted, but others have already been adopted by some pharmaceutical organizations, proving the unmet need in a field that is still in its infancy. This paper aims to understand how and if Big Data can contribute to commercial innovation, as well as future trends, investment opportunities.
Participants from 26 pharmaceutical companies participated in different focus groups where topics were grouped by individuals and evaluation areas were discussed to discover any potential connections between Big Data and Innovation in commercial pharmaceutical environments. This study used the collected data to analyze and draw conclusions about how many life sciences leaders and professionals already know about Big Data and are identifying examples and processes where Big data is supporting and generating innovation.
In addition, we were able to understand that the industry is already comfortable with Big Data, and there were some very accurate research results regarding the most pertinent application fields and key considerations moving forward. Using the network analysis findings and the relationships and connections explained by respondents, we can reveal how Big Data and innovation are interconnected.
Keywords: Big Data, Digital, Pharmaceutical Industry, Focus Group, Commercial.
- Pesqueira A, Sousa MJ. (2020) Pharmaceuticals and Life Sciences: Role of Competitive Intelligence in Innovation. InHandbook of Research on Emerging Technologies for Effective Project Management, pp. 237-254. IGI Global, https://www.igi-global.com/chapter/pharmaceuticals-and-life-sciences/239222, last accessed 2021/06/26.
- Ringberg T, Reihlen M, Rydén P. (2019) The technology-mindset interactions: Leading to incremental, radical or revolutionary innovations. 2019 May 1;79: pp.102-13. Industrial Marketing Management, https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0019850118304218, last accessed 2021/05/24.
- Laouisset DE. (2021) Algeria import substitution policy: the case of the pharmaceutical industry. les cahiers du cread. Apr 20;37(1):5-39, https://www.ajol.info/index.php/cread/article/view/206142/194380, last accessed 2021/07/14.
- Lahane S, Kant R, Shankar R. (2020) Circular supply chain management: A state-of-art review and future opportunities. Journal of Cleaner Production.
- Bibri SE. (2019) On the sustainability of smart and smarter cities in the era of big data: an interdisciplinary and transdisciplinary literature review. Dec;6(1): pp.1-64. Journal of Big Data, https://journalofbigdata.springeropen.com/articles/10.1186/s40537-019-0182-7, last accessed 2021/07/16.
- Zhang D, Pee LG, Cui L. (2021) Artificial intelligence in E-commerce fulfillment: A case study of resource orchestration at Alibaba’s Smart Warehouse. 2021 Apr 1; pp. 57:102304. International Journal of Information Management.
- Wiener M, Saunders C, Marabelli M. (2020) Big-data business models: A critical literature review and multiperspective research framework. Mar;35(1): pp.66-91. Journal of Information Technology, https://scholar.google.com/scholar?output=instlink&q=info:zxQHdZOuuKkJ:scholar.google.com/&hl=en&as_sdt=0,5&scillfp=11377637586559752519&oi=lle, last accessed 2021/06/12.
- Verma S. (2017) Big Data and advanced analytics: Architecture, techniques, applications, and challenges. 2017 Oct 1;4(4): pp.21-47. International Journal of Business Analytics (IJBAN).
- Mariani MM, Nambisan S. (2021) Innovation analytics and digital innovation experimentation: the rise of research-driven online review platforms. Nov 1; pp. 172:121009. Technological Forecasting and Social Change.
- Preim B, Lawonn K. (2020) A survey of visual analytics for public health. Feb Vol. 39, No. 1, pp. 543-580. InComputer Graphics Forum, https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/pdfdirect/10.1111/cgf.13891, last accessed 2021/06/13.
- Büyüközkan G, Göçer F. (2018) Digital Supply Chain: Literature review and a proposed framework for future research. Computers in Industry. May 1;97: pp. 157-77.
- Zhao J, Xue F, Khan S, Khatib SF. (2021) Consumer behavior analysis for business development. Aggression and Violent Behavior. Vol. 1 pp.101591.
- Ciruela-Lorenzo AM, Del-Aguila-Obra AR, Padilla-Meléndez A, Plaza-Angulo JJ. (2020) Digitalization of agri-cooperatives in the smart agriculture context. proposal of a digital diagnosis tool. Sustainability. 12(4): pp.1325, https://www.mdpi.com/2071-1050/12/4/1325/pdf, last accessed 2021/08/17.
- Saqib N. (2020) Positioning–a literature review. Jul 11. PSU Research Review. https://www.emerald.com/insight/content/doi/10.1108/PRR-06-2019-0016/full/html
- Vickers I, Lyon F, Sepulveda L, McMullin C. (2017) Public service innovation and multiple institutional logics: The case of hybrid social enterprise providers of health and wellbeing. Dec 1;46(10): pp.1755-68. Research Policy, https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0048733317301373, last accessed 2021/07/10.
- Aghmiuni SK, Siyal S, Wang Q, Duan Y. (2020) Assessment of factors affecting innovation policy in biotechnology. Jul 1;5(3): pp. 180-90. Journal of Innovation & Knowledge. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2444569X1930054X, last accessed 2021/08/26.
- Teece DJ. (2018) Dynamic capabilities as (workable) management systems theory. 2018 May;24(3): pp.359-68. Journal of Management & Organization.
- Orlandi LB, Zardini A, Rossignoli C. (2020) Organizational technological opportunism and social media: The deployment of social media analytics to sense and respond to technological discontinuities. May 1;112:385-95. Journal of Business Research.
- Lüdeke‐Freund F. (2020) Sustainable entrepreneurship, innovation, and business models: Integrative framework and propositions for future research. Feb;29(2): pp.665-81. Business Strategy and the Environment, https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/pdf/10.1002/bse.2396, last accessed 2021/07/26.
- Pratono AH, Darmasetiawan NK, Yudiarso A, Jeong BG. (2019) Achieving sustainable competitive advantage through green entrepreneurial orientation and market orientation: The role of inter-organizational learning. Mar 11. The Bottom Line, http://repository.ubaya.ac.id/34237/1/AS7169462365265921547944711931_content_1.pdf, last accessed 2021/07/16.
- Farzaneh M, Ghasemzadeh P, Nazari JA, Mehralian G. (2020) Contributory role of dynamic capabilities in the relationship between organizational learning and innovation performance. 2020 Jun 3. European Journal of Innovation Management.
- Chege SM, Wang D. (2020) The impact of entrepreneurs’ environmental analysis strategy on organizational performance. Jul 1;77: pp.113-25. Journal of Rural Studies.
- Lee C, Hallak R, Sardeshmukh SR. (2019) Creativity and innovation in the restaurant sector: Supply-side processes and barriers to implementation. Jul 1;31:pp. 54-62. Tourism Management Perspectives.
- Panda DK. (2017) Coevolution and coexistence of cooperation and competition in inter-organizational collaboration: Evidence from Indian management consulting industry. Feb 20. Journal of Global Operations and Strategic Sourcing.
- Ross JW, Beath CM, Mocker M. (2019) Designed for digital: How to architect your business for sustained success.2019 Sep 24. MIT Press.
- Dubey R, Gunasekaran A, Childe SJ, Blome C, Papadopoulos T. (2019) Big data and predictive analytics and manufacturing performance: integrating institutional theory, resource‐based view, and big data culture. Apr;30(2): pp. 341-61. British Journal of Management, https://pearl.plymouth.ac.uk/bitstream/handle/10026.1/13321/Final_BJM_Revised%20Version_Authors%20Affiliations.pdf?sequence=1, last accessed 2021/07/26.
- Mikalef P, Boura M, Lekakos G, Krogstie J. (2019) Big data analytics capabilities and innovation: the mediating role of dynamic capabilities and moderating effect of the environment. 2019 Apr;30(2): pp. 272-98. British Journal of Management, https://ntnuopen.ntnu.no/ntnu-xmlui/bitstream/handle/11250/2631308/Big%2BData%2BAnalytics%2BCapabilities%2BR2.pdf?sequence=1, last accessed 2021/08/12.
- Faisal-E-Alam M. (2020) The Influence of Quality on Consumers’ Purchase Intention between Local and Multinational Cosmetic Firm. 3(1): pp.01-11. Journal of International Business and Management. https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Md-Faisal-E-Alam/publication/338498835_The_Influence_of_Quality_on_Consumers’_Purchase_Intention_between_Local_and_Multinational_Cosmetic_Firm/links/5e26f95992851c89c9b5c289/The-Influence-of-Quality-on-Consumers-Purchase-Intention-between-Local-and-Multinational-Cosmetic-Firm.pdf, last accessed 2021/07/16.
- Rey JE.(2020) Career-Advising from the Primary Role Academic Advisor’s Viewpoint: A Qualitative Case Study. Rowan University. https://rdw.rowan.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=3840&context=etd, last accessed 2021/07/15.
Published online 28.12.2021