Vladimir Oniskiv, Valerii Stolbov, Anton Yakovlev
Perm National Research Polytechnic University, Russia
Cite: Oniskiv V., Stolbov V., Yakovlev A. Control of Polyethylene’s Radiation Cross-Linking by Gamma Irradiation in Acetylene Atmosphere. Digital Science. DSIC 2023, 17-25. 2023. https://doi.org/10.33847/978-5-6048575-1-9_2
Abstract. To produce cross-linked polyethylene using the radiation method, a lengthy procedure for irradiating the polyethylene is required. Reducing the time spent on irradiation will increase the yield of finished products per unit time and increase production efficiency. It has been experimentally confirmed that irradiation of polyethylene in the presence of hydrocarbon gases (for example, in the presence of acetylene) makes it possible to achieve the required degree of intermolecular cross-linking in less time. The article presents a modified algorithm for the production of cross-linked polyethylene, and identifies parameters whose changes can influence the speed of the production process. The problem of managing the production process is formulated in order to minimize the time spent on the production of cross-linked polyethylene. A description of mathematical models is given that make it possible to develop a control system for the production process of polyethylene modification using radiation exposure.
Keywords: cross-linked polyethylene, radiation technology, gas diffusion, production management.
This study was carried out with the financial support of the Ministry of Science and Higher Education of the Russian Federation within the framework of the Perm Scientific and Educational Center “Rational Subsoil Use” activity program and the project of the International Research Group (С-26/591).
- Appleby, R.W., Busfield, W.K. (1994) Post-gamma irradiation cross-linking of polyethylene tape by acetylene treatment. In: Journal of Materials Science, vol. 29, is. 1, pp. 227-231.
- Sargin, I., Beckman, S.P. (2020) Modelling the effect of dose rate and time on crosslinking and scission in irradiated polyethylene. In: IEEE Transactions on Dielectrics and Electrical Insulation, vol. 27, is. 3, pp. 731-738.
- Ivanov, V.S.: Radiation chemistry of polymer / Chemistry (1988).
- Mammadov, Sh.M., Qaribov, A.A.: Radiation physics and chemistry of polymer / LAP LAMBERT Academic Publishing (2016).
- Appleby, R.W., Busfield, W.K. (1994) Property modification of polyethylene tapes by acetylene-sensitized gamma irradiation. In: Journal of Materials Science, vol. 29, is. 1, pp. 151-156.
- Shyichuk, A., Tokaryk, G. (2003) Simulation-Assisted Evaluation of Acetylene Effect on Macromolecular Crosslinking Rate under Polyethylene Irradiation. In: Macromolecular Theory and Simulations, vol. 12, is. 8, pp. 599-603.
- Mitsui, H., Hosoi, F., Kagiya, T. (1974) Acceleration Effect of Acetylene on the γ-Radiation-Induced Cross-Linking of Polyethylene. In: Polymer Journal, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 20-26.
- Oniskiv, V.D., Stolbov, V.Yu., Khatiamov, R.K. (2019) On one control problem of the process of gamma irradiation of the polyethylene. In: Applied Mathematics and Control Sciences, no. 3, pp. 119-130.
- Oniskiv, V.D., Yakovlev, A.Yu. (2022) Optimization problem of the radiation cross-linking polyethylene manufacturing process. In: Large-Scale Systems Control, pp. 135-142.
- Kuriyama, I., Hayakawa, N., Nakase, Y. (1979) Effect of Dose Rate on Degradation Behavior of Insulating Polymer Materials. In: IEEE Transactions on Electrical Insulation, vol. EI-14, is. 5, pp. 272-277.
- Bekman I.N., Buntseva I.M. (2000) Diffusion-structural analysis of irradiated cable insulation. In: Bulletin of Moscow University, Episode 2., Chemistry, vol. 41, pp.56-61.
- Kozlov G.V., Zaikov G.E. (2003) Diffusion of gases in amorphous-crystalline polyethylene and its melt. In: High-molecular compounds,Series B., vol.45, no. 7, pp. 752-758.
- Appleby, R.W., Busfield, W.K. (1994) Property modification of polyethylene tapes by acetylene-sensitized gamma irradiation, no. 29, pp. 151-156.
Published online 05.11.2023