Artem Balyakin, Sergey Taranenko, Marina Nurbina, Mikhail A. Titov
Cite: Balyakin A., Taranenko S., Nurbina M., Titov M. Social Aspects of Big Data Technology Implementation. J. Digit. Sci. 1(1), 15-24 (2019). https://doi.org/10.33847/2686-8296.1.1_2
Abstract. Big Data is supposed to be one of the main traits of new coming digital era. Its technological aspects are usually widely discussed, whereas social peculiarities are mostly neglected. We present main approaches to Big Data, and argue that despite seeming revolutionary technology, Big Data can be treated as a new tool to produce knowledge. That means, it generates the same risks and challenges as other breakthroughs we witnessed previously. To our viewpoint, cultural aspects should be as counted as a main issue in Big Data implementation. Since the inability to control big data through prohibiting some peculiar features it possesses, we argue that one should focus on such practical steps as terminology improvements, and the evaluation of societal outcomes of the new technology.
Keywords: Big Data, Cultural Aspects, Scientific Infrastructure, Megascience, Research and Innovation Policy, Socio-Economic Challenges.
- Hype Cycle for Emerging Technologies (2015), URL: https://www.gartner.com/doc/3100227/, last accessed 2019/03/31
- Lynch, C.: How do your data grow? Nature 455, 28-29 (2008).
- Florio, M., Sirtori, E.: Social benefits and costs of large scale research infrastructures. Technological Forecasting and Social Change 112, 65-78 (2016).
- The decree of the President of the Russian Federation. About the strategy for the development of the information society in the Russian Federation for 2017-2030. No. 203, 09.05.2017
- Almyrzaeva, A., Kostyuk, V., Nevredinov, A.: The role of Big Data in modern society. Journal of Economy and entrepreneurship 9 (3), 580-582 (2017).
- Yuchinson, K.: Big Data and Legislation on Competition. Law. Journal of the Higher School of Economics, issue 1, 216-245 (2017).
- Grigorieva, M., Golosova, M., Ryabinkin, E., Klimentov, A.: Exascale Store for Scientific Data. Open Systems. DBMS. 23 (4), 14-17 (2015).
- The Global Information Technology Report. The World Economic Forum (2016), URL: http://www3.weforum.org/docs/GITR2016/WEF_GITR_Full_Report.pdf, last accessed 2019/03/31
- Zobova, L., Shcherbakova, L., Evdokimova, E.: Digital spatial competition in the global information space. Fundamental research, issue 5, 64-68 (2018).
- Manuka, J., Chui, M., Brown, B., Bughin, J., Hobbs, R., Roxburgh, C., Byers, A.: Big data: The next frontier for innovation, competition, and productivity / McKinsey Global Institute (2011).
- Mayer-Schönberger, V., Cukier, K.: Big Data: A Revolution That Will Transform How We Live, Work, and Think. Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (2013).
- Making Sense of Big Data. PwC Tech Forecast, issue 3 (2010).
- H. Ernst, N. Omland The Patent Asset Index – A new approach to benchmark patent portfolios: World Patent Information 33 (2011) 34–41.
- Balyakin, A., Mun, D.: Formation of an open science system in the European Union. Information and Innovations. Proceedings of the conference “Scientometrics and Bibliometrics”, pp.33-37 (2017).
- Net Neutrality 2019 Legislation. National Conference of State Legislatures (2019), URL: http://www.ncsl.org/research/telecommunications-and-information-technology/net-neutrality-2019-legislation.aspx, last accessed 2019/03/31
- Hu, J., Zhang, Y.: Discovering the interdisciplinary nature of Big Data research through social network analysis and visualization. Scientometrics 112(1), 91-109 (2017).
- Sokolova A.: The impact of big data analysis technologies (big data) on personal data legislation. In the collection : Jurisprudence 2.0: a new look at the right materials of the interuniversity scientific-practical conference with international participation. Russian University of Peoples’ Friendship . Moscow , 2017. pp. 282 -285.
- Bulgakova E.V. Methods for analyzing big data in solving legal problems. In the collection : Law and Information: Questions of Theory and Practice, a collection of materials of the international scientific-practical conference. Ser. “Electronic legislation” of the FSBI Presidential Library named after B. N. Yeltsin. 2017. pp. 90 -96.
- Order of the Government of the Russian Federation of July 22, 2019 No 1627-p On submitting to the State Duma of the Federal Assembly of the Russian Federation a draft federal law “On a single federal information resource containing information on the population of the Russian Federation”, http://government.ru/dep_news/37452/, last accessed 2019/07/30.
- Digital Russia: a new reality (2017), http://www.tadviser.ru/images/c/c2/Digital-Russia-report.pdf, last accessed 2019/03/31.
- Savelyev, A.: The Issues of Implementing Legislation on Personal Data in the Era of Big Data. Law. Journal of the Higher School of Economics, issue 1, 43-66 (2015).
- The EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), https://gdpr-info.eu, last accessed 2019/03/31.
- Balyakin A.A., Malyshev A.S., Nurbina M.V., Titov M.A. (2020) Big Data: Nil Novo Sub Luna. In: Antipova T. (eds) Integrated Science in Digital Age. ICIS 2019. Lecture Notes in Networks and Systems, vol 78, pp. 364-373. Springer, Cham.
Published online 22.12.2019