Francisca Nogueira, Diana Ferreira, Regina Sousa, António Abelha, Jos´e Machado
Cite: Nogueira F., et al. Integrating a New Generation of Interoperability Agents into the AIDA Platform. J. Digit. Sci. 3(1), 54-64 (2021). https://doi.org/10.33847/2686-8296.3.1_5
Abstract. Health is an information rich and complex environment, which makes it essential to implement interoperability in different health organizations and the consequent homogeneity among Health Information Systems (HIS). The Agency for the Integration, Dissemination and Archiving of Medical and Clinical Information (AIDA) is a consistent agent monitoring platform capable of guaranteeing the automation of information as well as the interoperability and integration of HIS. This platform was designed as a solution to the information islands that are commonly found in hospital systems, and it is currently being used in several hospitals throughout Portugal. However, like any technological innovation, the solution requires a constant health technology assessment (HTA) to ensure the absence of obsolescence and a continued efficiency and security of the platform. Hence, this article focuses on the relevance and the need for vigilance, culminating in the restructuring of certain intelligent agents that make up the AIDA platform.
Keywords: Health Information Systems, Interoperability, Obsolescence, Health Technology Assessment.
- Harold A Linstone. Three eras of technology foresight. Technovation, 31(2-3):69-76, 2011.
- Valéria Garcia. A Gestão e o Sucesso dos Sistemas de Informação em Saúde. PhD thesis, 01 2016.
- Ralph Stair and George Reynolds. Principles of information systems. Cengage Learning, 2020.
- Kenneth C Laudon et al. Management information systems: Managing the digital firm. Pearson Education India, 2007.
- Regina Sousa, Diana Ferreira, António Abelha, and José Machado. Step towards monitoring intelligent agents in healthcare information systems. In World Conference on Information Systems and Technologies, pages 510-519. Springer, 2020.
- Mark Ciampa and Mark Revels. Introduction to healthcare information technology. Cengage Learning, 2012.
- Gavan Lintern and Al Motavalli. Healthcare information systems: the cognitive challenge. BMC medical informatics and decision making, 18(1):1-10, 2018.
- Reinhold Haux. Health information systems – past, present, future. International journal of medical informatics, 75(3-4):268-281, 2006.
- Yousef Mehdipour and Hamideh Zerehk. Hospital information system (his): At a glance. Asian Journal of Computer and Information Systems, 1(2), 2013.
- Catarina Fernandes, Filipe Portela, Manuel Filipe Santos, José Machado, and António Abelha. How to assess the acceptance of an electronic health record system? In World Conference on Information Systems and Technologies, pages 466-475. Springer, 2020.
- Cristiana Neto, Diana Ferreira, António Abelha, and José Machado. Improving healthcare delivery with new interactive visualization methods. In World Conference on Information Systems and Technologies, pages 537-546. Springer, 2019.
- Luciana Cardoso, Fernando Marins, Filipe Portela, Manuel Santos, António Abelha, and José Machado. The next generation of interoperability agents in healthcare. International journal of environmental research and public health, 11(5):5349-5371, 2014.
- Hugo Peixoto, Manuel Santos, António Abelha, and José Machado. Intelligence in interoperability with aida. In International Symposium on Methodologies for Intelligent Systems, pages 264-273. Springer, 2012.
- Fernando Marins, Luciana Cardoso, Filipe Portela, Manuel F Santos, António Abelha, and José Machado. Improving high availability and reliability of health interoperability systems. In New Perspectives in Information Systems and Technologies, Volume 2, pages 207-216. Springer, 2014.
- Renato Fileto and Claudia Bazer Medeiros. A survey on information systems interoperability. Technical Report IC-03-030, 2003.
- Nir Menachemi and Taleah H Collum. Benefits and drawbacks of electronic health record systems. Risk management and healthcare policy, 4:47, 2011.
- Júlio Duarte, Maria Salazar, César Quintas, Manuel Santos, José Neves, António Abelha, and José Machado. Data quality evaluation of electronic health records in the hospital admission process. In 2010 IEEE/ACIS 9th International Conference on Computer and Information Science, pages 201-206. IEEE, 2010.
- Júlio Duarte, Sara Castro, Manuel Santos, António Abelha, and José Machado. Improving quality of electronic health records with snomed. Procedia Technology,16:1342-1350, 2014.
- Júlio Duarte, Carlos Filipe Portela, António Abelha, José Machado, and Manuel Filipe Santos. Electronic health record in dermatology service. In International Conference on ENTERprise Information Systems, pages 156-164. Springer, 2011.
- Ken Peers, Tuure Tuunanen, Marcus A Rothenberger, and Samir Chatterjee. A design science research methodology for information systems research. Journal of management information systems, 24(3):45-77, 2007.
- Alan R Hevner, Salvatore T March, Jinsoo Park, and Sudha Ram. Design science in information systems research. Management Information Systems Quarterly, 28(1):6, 2008.
- Carl Lawrence, Tuure Tuunanen, and Michael D Myers. Extending design science research methodology for a multicultural world. In IFIP Working Conference on Human Benefit through the Diffusion of Information Systems Design Science Research, pages 108-121. Springer, 2010.
- José Dias. Analysis of Design Science Research Methodology and Entrepreneurship Connections. PhD thesis, 07 2013.
- Guido L Geerts. A design science research methodology and its application to accounting information systems research. International Journal of Accounting Information Systems, 12(2):142 – 151, 2011.
- Mohamed Arezki Mellal. Obsolescence -a review of the literature. Technology in Society, 63:101347, 2020.
- Oluwatomi Adetunji, John Bischoff, and Christopher J Willy. Managing system obsolescence via multicriteria decision making. Systems Engineering, 21(4):307-321, 2018.
- Nikhil P Joshi, Frank W Stahnisch, and Tom W Noseworthy. Reassessment of health technologies: obsolescence and waste. 2009.
- Paul Vick and Lucian Wischik. The microsoft visual basic language specification. Microsoft Corporation, 2007.
- Félix Díazz Ortega. Conversión de Aplicación de entorno gráfico de Visual Basic a Java. PhD thesis, Universitat Politécnica de Valência, 2015.
- James Gosling, David Colin Holmes, and Ken Arnold. The java programming language, 2005.
- Bill Joy, Guy Steele, James Gosling, and Gilad Bracha. The java language specification, 2000.
Published online 29.06.2021