Elizabeta Mitreva, Aneta Janeva
“Goce Delčev” University, Štip, Republic of Macedonia
Cite: Mitreva E., Janeva A. Improving Business Processes by Applying the Kaizen Philosophy in a Macedonian Textile Company. J. Digit. Sci. 4(1), 56 – 70 (2022). https://doi.org/10.33847/2686-8296.4.1_5
Abstract. This paper presents the research aimed at developing a solution for advancing of business processes in a Macedonian textile company, by implementing techniques and methods of the Kaizen philosophy. The main objective of the paper is to make a comprehensive analysis of the factors that enable the improvement of the overall production process, thus achieving greater effectiveness and efficiency in the production operations, as well as greater market competitiveness. The solutions were based on the concept of improving the efficiency of operations, especially in the area of organization of production operations, in a way that enabled complete elimination of errors, greater productivity and increased quality of the final product, within a precisely defined time frame. Additionally, the paper also shows the key elements from the implementation of the Kaizen philosophy in the process of competitiveness improvement of the company.
Keywords: Kaizen philosophy; management tools and techniques; business processes; textile company; business performance.
- Carnerud D, Jaca C, Bäckström I. Kaizen and continuous improvement–trends and patterns over 30 years. The TQM Journal. 2018 Jun. https://doi.org/10.1108/TQM-03-2018-0037.
- Iwao S. Revisiting the existing notion of continuous improvement (Kaizen): literature review and field research of Toyota from a perspective of innovation. Evolutionary and Institutional Economics Review. 2017 Jun;14(1):29-59. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40844-017-0067-4.
- Álvarez-García J, Durán-Sánchez A, del Río MD. Systematic bibliometric analysis on Kaizen in scientific journals. The TQM Journal. 2018 Apr 10. https://doi.org/10.1108/TQM-12-2017-0171.
- Alvarado-Ramírez KM, Pumisacho-Álvaro VH, Miguel-Davila JÁ, Barraza MF. Kaizen, a continuous improvement practice in organizations: a comparative study in companies from Mexico and Ecuador. The TQM Journal. 2018 Jun 11. https://doi.org/10.1108/TQM-07-2017-0085.
- Chung CH. The Kaizen Wheel–an integrated philosophical foundation for total continuous improvement. The TQM Journal. 2018 Jun 11. https://doi.org/10.1108/TQM-03-2018-0029.
- Gonzalez-Aleu F, Van Aken EM, Cross J, Glover WJ. Continuous improvement project within Kaizen: critical success factors in hospitals. The TQM Journal. 2018 Apr 20. https://doi.org/10.1108/TQM-12-2017-0175.
- Jaca C, Ormazabal M, Viles E, Santos J. Environmental comfort based (ECB) methodology as a tool for preparing Kaizen application in a catering service company. The TQM Journal. 2018 Jun 11. https://doi.org/10.1108/TQM-10-2017-0117.
- Al-Hyari KA, Zaid MK, Arabeyyat OS, Al-Qwasmeh L, Haffar M. The applications of Kaizen methods in project settings: applied study in Jordan. The TQM Journal. 2019 Oct 10. https://doi.org/10.1108/TQM-03-2019-0078.
- Enshassi A, Saleh N, Mohamed S. Application level of lean construction techniques in reducing accidents in construction projects. Journal of Financial Management of Property and Construction. 2019 Nov 4. https://doi.org/10.1108/JFMPC-08-2018-0047.
- Vinodh S, Antony J, Agrawal R, Douglas JA. Integration of continuous improvement strategies with Industry 4.0: a systematic review and agenda for further research. The TQM Journal. 2020 Aug 20. https://doi.org/10.1108/TQM-07-2020-0157.
- Fonseca LM, Domingues JP. The best of both worlds? Use of Kaizen and other continuous improvement methodologies within Portuguese ISO 9001 certified organizations. The TQM Journal. 2018 Apr 10. https://doi.org/10.1108/TQM-12-2017-0173.
- Debnath RM. Enhancing customer satisfaction using Kaizen: a case study of Imperial Tobacco Company (ITC). Journal of Advances in Management Research. 2019 Jul 15. https://doi.org/10.1108/JAMR-01-2018-0009.
- Omotayo TS, Kulatunga U, Bjeirmi B. Critical success factors for Kaizen implementation in the Nigerian construction industry. International Journal of Productivity and Performance Management. 2018 Nov 19. https://doi.org/10.1108/IJPPM-11-2017-0296.
- Vo B, Kongar E, Barraza MF. Kaizen event approach: a case study in the packaging industry. International Journal of Productivity and Performance Management. 2019 Sep 9. https://doi.org/10.1108/IJPPM-07-2018-0282.
- Kumar S, Dhingra A, Singh B. Lean-Kaizen implementation: A roadmap for identifying continuous improvement opportunities in Indian small and medium sized enterprise. Journal of Engineering, Design and Technology. 2018 Feb 5. https://doi.org/10.1108/JEDT-08-2017-0083.
- Singh J, Singh H. Enigma of KAIZEN approach in manufacturing industry of Northern India–a case study. International Journal of Quality & Reliability Management. 2018 Jan 2. https://doi.org/10.1108/IJQRM-12-2016-0220.
- Chan CO, Tay HL. Combining lean tools application in kaizen: a field study on the printing industry. International Journal of Productivity and Performance Management. 2018 Jan 8. https://doi.org/10.1108/IJPPM-09-2016-0197.
- Suárez-Barraza MF, Miguel-Dávila JÁ, Jaca-García C. Kaizen: An Ancient Operational Innovation Strategy for Organizations Of The XXI Century. https://doi.org/10.1108/TQM-06-2018-180.
- Solaimani S, van der Veen J, Sobek II DK, Gulyaz E, Venugopal V. On the application of Lean principles and practices to innovation management: A systematic review. The TQM Journal. 2019 Nov 29. https://doi.org/10.1108/TQM-12-2018-0208.
- Kumar R. Kaizen a tool for continuous quality improvement in Indian manufacturing organization. International Journal of Mathematical, Engineering and Management Sciences. 2019;4(2):452-9. https://dx.doi.org/10.33889/IJMEMS.2019.4.2-037.
- Goyal A, Agrawal R, Chokhani RK, Saha C. Waste reduction through Kaizen approach: A case study of a company in India. Waste Management & Research. 2019 Jan;37(1):102-7. https://doi.org/10.1177/0734242X18796205.
Published online 12.06.2022