Baldwin University College, Accra – North, Ghana
Cite: Ofosu-Ampong K. Determinants, Barriers and Strategies of Digital Transformation Adoption in a Developing Country Covid-19 Era. J. Digit. Sci. 3(2), 67 – 83 (2021). https://doi.org/10.33847/2686-8296.3.2_5
Abstract. The purpose of this paper is to examine the determinants and strategies of digital transformation adoption (DTA) in a developing country context through the lens of price value, hedonic motivation, inherent innovativeness and technology readiness. The study also investigates the impact of COVID-19 on banks in Ghana from the managers’ perspectives and provide possible solutions for banks’ successful transitioning and uptake of digital transformation in a post COVID-19 era. The study was carried out using a mixed-method approach from banks in Ghana. The findings of the study revealed that customers’ technology acceptance and adoption of innovation is fraught with challenges. At the same time, employees/banks struggled to adjust to new technologies during the COVID-19 pandemic. Further, the findings indicate that price value, inherent innovativeness and technology readiness were the significant factors in DTA. Conversely, hedonic motivation was an insignificant factor in a developing country context. The paper concludes with a conceptual model for emergency digital transformation to respond to future pandemics.
Keywords: Digital transformation, Determinants, Manager’s perspective, Covid-19 banking, Developing countries, Strategies.
- Matt, C., Hess, T., Benlian, A.: Digital transformation strategies. Business & Information Systems Engineering, 57(5), 339-343(2015).
- Wessel, L., Baiyere, A., Ologeanu-Taddei, R., Cha, J., Blegind-Jensen, T.: Unpacking the difference between digital transformation and IT-enabled organisational transformation. Journal of the Association for Information Systems, 22(1), 102-129 (2021).
- Avgerou, C.: The significance of context in information systems and organisational change. Information systems journal, 11(1), 43-63(2001).
- Curran, J. M., Meuter, M. L.: Encouraging existing customers to switch to self-service technologies: put a little fun in their lives. Journal of Marketing Theory and Practice, 15(4), 283-298(2007).
- Cohen, B. Amorós, J.E., Lundy, L.: The generative potential of emerging technology to support startups and new ecosystems. Business Horizon. 60(2017).
- Chung, T. T. R., Liang, T. P., Peng, C. H., Chen, D. N., Sharma, P.: Knowledge creation and organisational performance: moderating and mediating processes from an organisational agility perspective. AIS Transactions on Human-Computer Interaction, 11(2), 79-106 (2019).
- Choudhury, S. R.: How technology helped Asian countries cope in the coronavirus pandemic. CNBC Online (2020). https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/13/coronavirusmckinsey-says-technology-helping-asia-cope-better.html, last accessed 2021/05/13.
- Alalwan, A. A., Dwivedi, Y. K., Rana, N. P., Lal, B., & Williams, M. D.: Consumer adoption of Internet banking in Jordan: Examining the role of hedonic motivation, habit, self-efficacy and trust. Journal of Financial Services Marketing, 20(2), 145-157 (2015).
- Slade, E.L., Dwivedi, Y.K., Piercy, N.C., & Williams, M.D.: Modeling consumers’ adoption intentions of remote mobile payments in the United Kingdom: extending UTAUT with innovativeness, risk, and trust. Psychology & Marketing, 32(8), 860-873(2015).
- Al Mansoori, K. A., Sarabdeen, J., & Tchantchane, A. L.: Investigating Emirati citizens’ adoption of e-government services in Abu Dhabi using modified UTAUT model. Information Technology & People. 31 (2), 455-481 (2018).
- Guggemos, J., Seufert, S., Sonderegger, S.: Humanoid robots in higher education: Evaluating the acceptance of Pepper in the context of an academic writing course using the UTAUT. British Journal of Educational Technology, 51(5), 1864-1883(2020).
- Kitsios, F., Giatsidis, I., Kamariotou, M.: Digital Transformation and Strategy in the Banking Sector: Evaluating the Acceptance Rate of E-Services. Journal of Open Innovation: Technology, Market, and Complexity, 7(3), 204(2021).
- Manrai, R., Goel, U., & Yadav, P.D.: Factors affecting adoption of digital payments by semi-rural Indian women: extension of UTAUT-2 with self-determination theory and perceived credibility. Aslib Journal of Information Management. 73 (6), 814-838(2021).
- Terrar, D.: What is Digital Transformation? Available online: http://www.theagileelephant.com/what-is-digitaltransformation/ (accessed on 2021/08/10).
- Duchek, S.: Organisational resilience: a capability-based conceptualisation. Business Research, 13(1), 215-246 (2020).
- Krasonikolakis, I., Tsarbopoulos, M., Eng, T. Y.: Are incumbent banks bygones in the face of digital transformation? Journal of General Management, 46(1), 60-69(2020).
- Lotriet, R., Kokotwane Dltshego, K.: An assessment of perceptions concerning digital transformation at a South African commercial bank-a case of Anthropocene denial for the economy?0 Tydskrif vir Geesteswetenskappe, 60(3), 687-707(2020).
- Mărăcine, V., Voican, O., Scarlat, E.: The Digital Transformation and Disruption in Business Models of the Banks under the Impact of FinTech and BigTech. In Proceedings of the International Conference on Business Excellence; Walter de Gruyter GmbH: Berlin, Germany, 2020; pp. 294–305.
- KamalulAriffin, N.S., Khalid, S. N.A., Wahid, N.A.: The barriers to the adoption of environmental management practices in the hotel industry: a study of Malaysian hotels. Business Strategy Series.14, 106-117(2013).
- Vikneswaran, N., Anantharajah, S.A.: Green makeover for our hotels? Q. DOE Update Environment Development and Sustainability. 2, 10–12 (2012).
- Estrella-Ramon, A., Sánchez-Pérez, M., Swinnen, G.: How customers’ offline experience affects the adoption of online banking. Internet Research. 26 (5),1072-1092 (2016).
- Diener F, Špacek M.: Digital Transformation in Banking: A Managerial Perspective on Barriers to Change. Sustainability 13, 2032 (2021).
- KPMG Ghana Report: Economic Impact of COVID – 19 on Ghana’s banking industry (2020).https://assets.kpmg/content/dam/kpmg/gh/pdf/gh-KPMG-Advisory-Economic-Impact-of-COVID-19-on-Ghana%E2%80%99s-Banking-Industry.pdf, last accessed 2021/06/09.
- Venkatesh, V., Thong, J. Y. L. and Xu, X. (2012). Consumer acceptance and use of information technology: Extending the unified theory of acceptance and use of technology. MIS Quarterly, 36(1), 157-178.
- Parasuraman, A.: Technology Readiness Index (TRI) a multiple-item scale to measure readiness to embrace new technologies. Journal of Service Research, 2(4), 307-320(2000).
- Massey, A.P., Khatri, V., Montoya‐Weiss, M.M.: Usability of online services: The role of technology readiness and context. Decision Sciences, 38(2), 277-308(2007).
- Lin, J.S.C., Hsieh, P.L. The influence of technology readiness on satisfaction and behavioral intentions toward self-service technologies. Computers in Human Behavior, 23(3), 1597-1615(2007).
- Erdoğmuş, N., Esen, M.: An investigation of the effects of technology readiness on technology acceptance in e-HRM. Procedia-Social and Behavioral Sciences, 24, 487-495 (2011).
- Creswell, J. W.: Research design: qualitative, quantitative, and mixed methods approaches (5th ed.). Los Angeles: SAGE. (2018).
- Miles, M.B., Huberman, A.M.: Qualitative Data Analysis: An Expanded Sourcebook, SAGE Publications, Thousand Oaks, CA. (1994).
- Bank of Ghana.: The 2019 banking industry fraud report. https://www.bog.gov.gh/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/SUMMARY-OF-2019-FRAUD-REPORT.pdf, last accessed 2021/07/3.
- Ngai, C.S., Lee, W.M., Ng, P.P., Wu, D.D.: Innovating an integrated approach to collaborative eLearning practices in higher education: The case study of a corporate communication e-platform. Studies in Higher Education, 44(11), 1990–2010 (2018).
- Morrison, D.: E-learning strategies: How to get implementation and delivery right first time. England: John Wiley & Sons Ltd. (2003).
- Zainuddin, N., Tam, L., McCosker, A.: Serving yourself: value self-creation in health care service. Journal of Services Marketing, 30(6), 586-600 (2016).
- Shankar, A., Kumari, P. (2016). Factors affecting mobile banking adoption behavior in India. The Journal of Internet Banking and Commerce, 21(1).
- Payne, E.H.M., Dahl, A.J., Peltier, J.: Digital servitisation value co-creation framework for AI services: a research agenda for digital transformation in financial service ecosystems. Journal of Research in Interactive Marketing. 15 (2), 200-222(2021).
- Moro, S., Cortez, P., Rita, P.: Business intelligence in banking: A literature analysis from 2002 to 2013 using text mining and latent Dirichlet allocation. Expert Systems with Applications, 42(3), 1314-1324(2015).
- Gerald, E., Obianuju, A., Chukwunonso, N.: Strategic agility and performance of small and medium enterprises in the phase of Covid-19 pandemic. International Journal of Financial, Accounting, and Management, 2(1), 41-50(2020).
- Ismail, M. H., Khater, M., Zaki, M.: Digital business transformation and strategy: What do we know so far. Cambridge Service Alliance, 10(2017).
- Chanias, S., Myers, M. D., & Hess, T.: Digital transformation strategy making in pre-digital organisations: The case of a financial services provider.’ Journal of Strategic Information Systems, 28, 17–33 (2019).
- Shih CF, Venkatesh A.: Beyond adoption: Development and application of a use-diffusion model. Journal of marketing. 68(1):59-72 (2004)
- Gefen, D., Straub, D., Boudreau, M. C.: Structural equation modeling and regression: Guidelines for research practice. Communications of the association for information systems, 4(1), 7(2000).
- Hair, J.F., Black, W.C., Babin, B.J. Anderson, R.E. Multivariate Data Analysis, 7th ed., Prentice Hall, Upper Saddle River, NJ. (2010).
- Henseler, J., Ringle, C. M., Sarstedt, M.: A new criterion for assessing discriminant validity in variance-based structural equation modeling. Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 43(1), 115-135 (2015).
- Anwar, A., Thongpapanl, N., & Ashraf, A. R.: Strategic imperatives of mobile commerce in developing countries: the influence of consumer innovativeness, ubiquity, perceived value, risk, and cost on usage. Journal of Strategic Marketing, 29(8), 722-742(2021).
- Riffai MM, Grant K, Edgar D. Big TAM in Oman: Exploring the promise of on-line banking, its adoption by customers and the challenges of banking in Oman. International Journal of Information Management. 32(3):239-50 (2012).
Published online 28.12.2021