Mohamed Litoussi, Khalid El Makkaoui, Abdellah Ezzati
Hassan First University, Settat, Morocco; Mohammed First University, Nador, Morocco
Cite: Litoussi M., Makkaoui K.E., Ezzati A.An overview of Blockchain: Definitions, architecture, versions, applications and future directions. J. Digit. Sci. 5(1), 3 – 11 (2023). https://doi.org/10.33847/2686-8296.5.1_1
Abstract. Blockchain technology has been gaining popularity in recent years, with many industries exploring its potential applications. This innovative technology has the potential to revolutionize the way we do business and interact with each other. It has emerged as a revolutionary innovation that promises to transform various industries by enabling secure, transparent, and decentralized transactions. The blockchain is a distributed ledger technology that uses cryptography to ensure the integrity and immutability of data. In this article, we will provide an overview of blockchain, including definitions, architecture, security, applications, and future directions.
Keywords: Blockchain (BC) technology; Security; Consensus; Distributed ledger technology (DLT).
1. Nakamoto, S. (2008). Bitcoin: A Peer-to-Peer Electronic Cash System. Tapscott, D., & Tapscott, A. (2016).
2. Tapscott, D., & Tapscott, A. (2016). Blockchain Revolution: How the Technology Behind Bitcoin is Changing Money, Business, and the World.
3. Swan, M. (2015). Blockchain: Blueprint for a New Economy.
4. Mohamed Litoussi, Nabil Kannouf, Khalid El Makkaoui, Abdellah Ezzati, Mohamed Fartitchou, IoT security: challenges and countermeasures, Procedia Computer Science, Volume 177,2020,Pages 503-508,https://doi.org/10.1016/j.procs.2020.10.069.
5. Blockchain 1.0 vs 2.0 vs 3.0: A Complete Guide to Understanding the Evolution of Blockchain Technology,” Blockgeeks, https://blockgeeks.com/guides/blockchain-1-0-vs-2-0-vs-3-0/
6. Digital Certifications in Moroccan Universities: Concepts, Challenges, and Solutions,Mohamed Litoussi , Mohamed Fartitchou , Khalid El Makkaoui , Abdellah Ezzati ,Zakaria El Allali Procedia Computer Science Volume 201, 2022, Pages 95-100 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.procs.2022.03.015
7. “What is Blockchain 4.0?,” Investopedia, https://www.investopedia.com/terms/b/blockchain-40.asp
8. “What is Blockchain 5.0?,” Medium,https://medium.com/@davidjames_47048/what-is-blockchain-5-0-9c7e5bb6f4a9
9. European Commission. (2018). Blockchain in Education. Retrieved from https://ec.europa.eu/jrc/en/publication/blockchain-education
10. “What is a blockchain and how does it work?” – https://www.ibm.com/topics/blockchain
11. “Public vs private blockchain: What’s the difference?” -https://www.investopedia.com/terms/p/public-vs-private-blockchain.asp
12. “Hybrid blockchain: What is it and why does it matter?” – https://www.techrepublic.com/article/hybrid-blockchain-what-is-it-and-why-does-it-matter/
13. “What Are Public, Private, and Hybrid Blockchains?,” CoinCentral, https://coincentral.com/public-private-hybrid-blockchains/
14. “Public vs Private vs Hybrid Blockchain: What’s the Difference?,” Blockonomi, https://blockonomi.com/public-vs-private-vs-hybrid-blockchain/
15. Narayanan, A., Bonneau, J., Felten, E., Miller, A., & Goldfeder, S. (2016). Bitcoin and Cryptocurrency Technologies: A Comprehensive Introduction.
16. Buterin, V. (2014). A Next-Generation Smart Contract and Decentralized Application Platform.
17. Wood, G. (2014). Ethereum: A Secure Decentralised Generalised Transaction Ledger.
19. Antonopoulos, A. M. (2014). Mastering Bitcoin: Unlocking Digital Cryptocurrencies.
20. Thien Huynh-The, Thippa Reddy Gadekallu, Weizheng Wang, Gokul Yenduri, Pasika Ranaweera, Quoc-Viet Pham, Daniel Benevides da Costa, Madhusanka Liyanage,Blockchain for the metaverse: A Review,Future Generation Computer Systems,Volume 143,2023,Pages401-419, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.future.2023.02.008.
21. URL:]https://www.investopedia.com/terms/1/51-attack.asp last accessed 2023/03/31.
22. URL:https://www.blockchain-council.org/blockchain/types-of-blockchain-attacks-and-how-to-prevent-them/ last accessed 2023/01/31.
23. URL:https://www.coindesk.com/information/what-is-a-smart-contract last accessed 2023/03/31.
24. Hada A. Alsobhi, Rayed A. Alakhtar, Ayesha Ubaid, Omar K. Hussain, Farookh Khadeer Hussain,Blockchain-based micro-credentialing system in higher education institutions: Systematic literature review,Knowledge-Based Systems,Volume 265,2023, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.knosys.2022.110238.
25. Sergey Tsiulin, Kristian Hegner Reinau, Olli-Pekka Hilmola,The key challenges of blockchain implementation in maritime sector: summary from literature and previous research findings,Procedia Computer Science,Volume 217,2023,Pages 348-357,https://doi.org/10.1016/j.procs.2022.12.230.
26. Marlys Herazo Narváez, Laura Carrasquilla-Díaz, Alejandra De Luque-Pisciotti, AF Guarin, Tatiana Arrieta Barrios, José Fernando Gallego-Nicholls,Legal challenges for Blockchain implementation in Colombia,Procedia Computer Science,Volume 210,2022,Pages 323-327,https://doi.org/10.1016/j.procs.2022.10.158.
27. Adarsh Kumar, Neelu Jyothi Ahuja, Monika Thapliyal, Sarthika Dutt, Tanesh Kumar, Diego Augusto De Jesus Pacheco, Charalambos Konstantinou, Kim-Kwang Raymond Choo,Blockchain for unmanned underwater drones: Research issues, challenges, trends and future directions,Journal of Network and Computer Applications,Volume 215,2023,103649,https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jnca.2023.103649.
28. Hua Liu, Ruili Ma, Guangyao He, Abdesslam Lamrabet, Shaoling Fu,The impact of blockchain technology on the online purchase behavior of green agricultural products,Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services,Volume 74,2023,ISSN 0969-6989,https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jretconser.2023.103387.
29. Patricia Baudier, Galina Kondrateva, Chantal Ammi,Can blockchain enhance motivation to donate: The moderating impact of religion on donors’ behavior in the USA’s charity organizations,Technological Forecasting and Social Change,Volume 191,2023,122524,https://doi.org/10.1016/j.techfore.2023.122524.
30. SOME SIMPLE ECONOMICS OF THE BLOCKCHAIN Christian Catalini Joshua S. Gans Working Paper 22952 http://www.nber.org/papers/w22952 NATIONAL BUREAU OF ECONOMIC RESEARCH 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138 December 2016, Revised June 2019.
31. Catalini, C., & Gans, J. S. (2018). Some simple economics of the blockchain. Journal of Economic Perspectives, 32(2), 217-238.
32. European Commission. (2018). Blockchain in Education. Retrieved from https://ec.europa.eu/jrc/en/publication/blockchain-education.
Published online 25.06.2023