Darya Rozhkova, Nadezhda Rozhkova
Cite: Rozhkova D., Rozhkova N. COVID-19 and E-learning: challenges for Russian professors. Journal of Digital Art & Humanities, Vol.1, Iss.2, pp. 34-41. 2020. https://doi.org/10.33847/2712-8148.1.2_3
Abstract. In recent years, the term E-learning has become widespread, meaning the process of learning in electronic form via the Internet or Intranet using learning management systems. We analyzed practical instruments that have been used in e-learning in Russia during the pandemic crisis of COVID-19 and students’ reaction. It is emphasized that the e-learning was obligatory for the introduction, which means that the professors and students mostly were not ready for such a decision. Both students and professors had to adapt to the new environment, find new ways of interaction and collaboration. Based on challenges, student’s attitude and perception of the e-learning process, we have shown findings of e-learning barrier factors (including personal perception and language skills). We have provided some practical ways to overcome barrier factors.
Keywords: e-Learning concept, distance learning, COVID-19.
- Antipova T. (2021). Coronavirus Pandemic as Black Swan Event. In: Antipova T. (eds) Integrated Science in Digital Age 2020. ICIS 2020. Lecture Notes in Networks and Systems, vol 136. Springer, Cham. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-49264-9_32.
- Bodiako, A. V., Ponomareva, S. V., Rogulenko, T. M., Melnik, M. V., Gorlov, V. V. (2020). Professional and qualification potential of the digital society: indicative evaluation and systemic management. International Journal of Sociology and Social Policy. https://doi.org/10.1108/IJSSP-03-2020-0081.
- Aung T.N., Khaing S.S. (2015). Challenges of implementing e-learning in developing countries: A review. International Conference on Genetic and Evolutionary Computing, 405-411.
- Guglielmino L.M., Guglielmino P.J. (2003). Identifying learners who are ready for e-learning and supporting their success. Preparing learners for e-learning, 18-33.
- Klein D., Ware M. (2003). E‐learning: New opportunities in continuing professional development. Learned publishing, 16(1), 34-46.
- Martin F., Bolliger D.U. (2018). Engagement matters: Student perceptions on the importance of engagement strategies in the online learning environment. Online Learning, 22(1), 205-222.
- Muilenburg L.Y., Berge Z.L. (2005). Student barriers to online learning: A factor analytic study. Distance education, 26(1), 29-48.
- Radha R., Mahalakshmi K., Kumar V. S., Saravanakumar, A. R. (2020). E-Learning during lockdown of Covid-19 pandemic: A global perspective. International journal of control and automation, 13(4), 1088-1099.
- Radović-Marković M. (2010). Advantages and disadvantages of e-learning in comparison to traditional forms of learning. Annals of the University of Petroşani, Economics, 10(2), 289-298.
- Romiszowski A. (2003). The future of E -learning as an educational innovation Factors influencing project success and failure. Brazilian Review of Open and Distance Education – Teorias Aspectos Teóricos e Filosóficos p 1-14.
- Rozhkova D., Rozhkova N., Blinova U. (2020). Digital Universities in Russia: Prospects and Problems. In: Antipova T., Rocha Á. (eds) Digital Science 2019. DSIC 2019. Advances in Intelligent Systems and Computing, vol 1114. Springer, Cham. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-37737-3_23.
- Rozhkova N., Blinova U., Rozhkova D. (2018). The Concept of Management Accounting Based on the Information Technologies Application. In: Antipova T., Rocha Á. (eds) Information Technology Science. MOSITS 2017. Advances in Intelligent Systems and Computing, vol 724. Springer, Cham. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-74980-8_8.
- Ruiz J. G., Mintzer M. J., Leipzig, R. M. (2006). The impact of e-learning in medical education. Academic medicine, 81(3), 207-212.
- Sims R. L., Schuman A. H. (1999). Learning in an online format versus an in-class format: An experimental study. THE journal, 26(11), 54-56.
- Spector, J. M., Merrill, M. D., van Merrienboer, J., Driscoll, M. P. (2008). Research on Educational Communications and Technology.
- Ubell R. (2000). Engineers turn to e-learning. IEEE spectrum, 37(10), 59-63.
- Watkins R., Leigh D., Triner D. (2004). Assessing readiness for e-learning. Performance Improvement Quarterly, 17(4), 66-79.
- Zaheer M., Babar M.E., Gondal U.H., Qadri M.M. (2015). E-learning and student satisfaction. In Proceedings of the 29th Annual Conference of the Asian Association of Open Universities: New frontiers in ODL (pp.275-285).
- Antipova T. Digital view on COVID-19 Impact. In: ICCS 2020, LNNS, Vol. 186. Springer. 2021. DOI: 10.1007/978-3-030-66093-2_15.
- Rosca S., Riurean S., Leba M., Ionica A. (2019) An Educational Model of Graduation Project for Students at Automation and Computer Engineering. Journal of Digital Science, V.1, Iss.1, pp. 34-42. https://doi.org/10.33847/2686-8296.1.1_4.
Published online 30.12.2020